About Me

February 11, 2008

Valentine's Day stress

Over the weekend the New York Times ran an article called “Matchmaker, You Have Until Thursday” (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/10/fashion/weddings/10speed.html?ref=style) about the pressure that many singles feel to find a boyfriend or girlfriend by Valentine’s Day – or at least a date. Speed-dating registrations apparently increase by 15 to 20% during January and February, and Match.com had a 40% increase in new members. It’s a little late to be finding this out, but good to keep in mind for next year.

The reporter also sat in on a HurryDate (http://www.hurrydate.com) event, where each person had TWENTY four-minute dates. TWENTY! The most I’ve ever had at any speed-dating event was fourteen! Maybe I should try HurryDate again. I’d tried them last summer but didn’t have very good luck – neither of my mutual matches ever e-mailed me. I don’t understand that. Why choose me if you don’t even want to put in the effort of e-mailing me back, much less seeing me again? At the time I suspected it was an age thing – they were both a few years younger, and since you have to fill out a profile on HurryDate, I figured they saw my age and weren’t interested anymore. But since then I’ve had a couple of mutual matches from other events not write me back, either, even though they didn’t know my age. People are just strange, I guess.

No comments: