About Me

September 10, 2008

The "Get Him" System for dating

Did any of you read “Seventeen” Magazine as a teenager? Me, too! For some reason I was reminiscing about “Seventeen” the other day, recalling those ads I used to see in the back of the magazine – particularly one for the “Get Him” system. Remember? It was supposed to tell you how to make ANY boy you liked fall in love with you, no matter what you looked like or how much of a geek you were. I secretly thought about sending away for “Get Him" (believe me, I needed all the help I could get), but it wasn’t like I had a checking account or a credit card at age 15, so I never did. But every time I saw the ad, I would wonder what the big secret was I was missing out on.

Well, it turns out there wasn’t one. According to someone named Christina, who blogs at http://blahblahblahler.blogspot.com and actually ordered it with a friend as teenagers, the “Get Him” system was actually “a thin chapbook, that even at 13 years old I recognized as cheap and unprofessional. Each page of the book had tips: be yourself! look in his eyes! laugh at his jokes! touch his arm!”

So now I’m glad I didn’t spend $15 on it (I could’ve seen 5 movies with that money in those days!). The con artist who “wrote” it probably retired a millionaire. But Christina’s blog about “Get Him” is pretty hilarious – check it out at http://blahblahblahler.blogspot.com/2008/05/get-him-system-how-to-get-boy-you-want.html

4 comments:

Lord Lillis said...

Maybe you don't tilt your head to the side...

Anonymous said...

Aha! THAT's the problem! ;)

Anonymous said...

I can't believe someone else is still wondering about the "Get Him" system as well!!! Thanks for enlightening me on what it really was!

Liz said...

I remember this! And . . . I bought it.

SHUT UP. I AM NOT A LOSER.

Anyway, I've still got it somewhere. One of these days, when I'm brave enough to go up into my attic, I'll bring it down and scan it. In hindsight, it was pretty funny. But at the time? I think I cried.

The thing I remember most about it is how it was a diet in disguise. This thin chapbook about what exercises to do to make your boobs look bigger and why going on a 1,100 calorie a day diet was the only way to get a boy to notice you. Not because you were FAT, but because THIN PEOPLE EXUDE CONFIDENCE!

If only I knew then what I know now.