About Me

November 20, 2008

Long Island Grad Student met someone else

To recap: I had what seemed like a great date with Long Island Grad Student (who I met on eHarmony, http://www.eharmony.com/) a week and a half ago. I e-mailed him the next day to thank him, he e-mailed me back a day later, I e-mailed him the day after that, and then -- silence.

Until today.

He made small talk in the beginning of the e-mail before writing:

"I've really appreciated getting to know you a bit. You seem like a genuine and kind woman. So I want to be up-front with you about something, because it's definitely affecting my communication lately. I have found myself interested in someone -- actually someone in my 'real' life, not an online someone, but an old friend. Came recently and out of the blue and at their initiation. I don't know where it's going to lead, but it is definitely taking up a lot of my head and heart space, and is definitely affecting my ability to invest in other relationships at this point. I think it would be entirely unfair NOT to share this with you. I certainly don't expect you to 'wait around' for me to see where this is going to lead -- but I just can't give what a budding friendship/relationship deserves. The timing just isn't great for me right now. I'm sorry. I hope you understand. It seems sucky to suggest to put things on hold until I can see where things will lead with this person, but at this point, that's all I have to offer. So, let me know your thoughts. At any rate, as we haven't touched base in some time, I do hope you are doing well. I'm so sorry to spring this on you -- it's quite taken me by surprise, as well. Take care! Write when you can...Long Island Grad Student"

At least he let me know, and was really nice about it, too. Timing is everything, isn't it?

In other news, IT Guy (also known in my mind as "Eye Infection Guy") and I are FINALLY going to meet in person next Monday. He's funny -- in his last e-mail to me he wrote, "Curiousity is killing me...I think I have to meet you soon!" Should be interesting.

3 comments:

Glenn said...

Hmph...I'm guessing he wasn't all that interested to begin with. It seems that someone who is actively persuing a serious reationship shouldn't be opposed to dating more than one individual in order to determine who he/she actually likes better. It sounds like he hasn't given you much of a shot but at least he was honest and let you know what's going on. Which brings up the quandary that speaks volumes about his character and probably makes you feel like a good one got away. Based on what you wrote, he's wanting to keep you waiting in the wings in spite of what he said, which seems as though you may have had enough potential. If you're smitten with him, you might suggest that you're OK with keeping communication open until he makes a concrete choice about the friend from his past. In my experience, there's a reason why old realtionships did't make it in the first place and people tend to forget that until they get tangled up in them again. I say keep your options open.

Her Artichoke Heart said...

"Keep your options open" -- I like that. :) Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I like that he had the courage and decency to be honest with you. That's so much kinder than just dropping off the face of the earth.