About Me

November 7, 2008

Why do men just want to be pen-pals?

I'm sorry I've taken over a week to write a new post, but argh! Men! After he cancelled on me with one hour's notice due to an alleged eye infection, I had a nice talk with IT Guy (from eHarmony: http://www.eharmony.com) on the phone -- but then he never contacted me again to re-schedule. And what kind of an excuse is an eye infection, anyway? I mean, don't you know you have one when you wake up in the morning? So why wait until only an hour before our date to cancel? Maybe he actually has one of those social anxiety disorders where he's afraid to date in person.

Then there's New Jersey Journalist (also from eHarmony). We'd been e-mailing for weeks, I finally suggested getting together, he said he'd have this whole week off from work so maybe we could get together then. I e-mailed him in agreement and suggested we meet for lunch in the city one day. Instead of e-mailing me back a day later, like he always had before, he waited four days -- and the part about actually scheduling a date was the only part of my e-mail he didn't respond to! Do these men really want to meet, or do they just want an e-mail pen pal?

There's a GREAT speed-dating event happening next week through New York Easy Dates (http://www.nyeasydates.com) that I would totally attend if I weren't already taking a class that night. It's called "Speed-Daters Celebrating Obama!" :) It's taking place in Manhattan next Wed. 11/12 at 7:30 PM for men and women in their 20s and 30s who voted for President-Elect Obama. Ah, President-Elect Obama. I just love typing those words. :) :) You can find the details at: https://www.nyeasydates.com/new_york/events/815/event_details.html
It costs $30. If you go, let me know how it is!

5 comments:

Spirit Vapors said...

at least people who attend this dating event know they already agree on a usually major deal breaker.

why would some men avoid meeting in person? weird... Maybe as women we underestimate the social pressure that can exist for some men when it comes to dating, especially for the ones who haven't been so successful so far. Men are 'supposed to' do so many things... take initiative... have conversation, pick up the bill, hold the door, kiss or hug, ask on a second date or not, call back or not... For the slightly shy or hurt, it might be hard to jump back...

Lord Lillis said...

"Speed-Daters Celebrating Obama"!?! Oh, it's going to be a very long four years.

Don't underestimate how disorganized a single man can be. When it's just you it's easy (and easier) to leave matters to the last minute. Coupling that with ordinary inertia would explain these two as well.

Her Artichoke Heart said...

Yeah, in some ways there are more expectations on men for the first date. But it's nerve-wracking for women, too! I guess that's why it can be easier (for both genders) to give in to the inertia....

Anonymous said...

Well I think you shouldn't be bothering with those guys from E-Harmony when you have Nicest-Guy-in-the-World in front of you and EAGER to do things =)

Her Artichoke Heart said...

:)