About Me

May 3, 2009

Lies men tell on the first date

Here's an article from Cosmo by Gregory Gilderman, "Dating 101: First-Date Red Flags," about lies that guys tell on the first date (http://dating.personals.yahoo.com/singles/datingtips/88111/dating-101-first-date-red-flags). They include "I never move this fast on a first date"; "I'll call you" (I certainly heard that lie a lot!); "I'm between jobs"; and "I've never had a serious girlfriend." Apparently, "I'm between jobs" can mean "I'm unemployed because I have no direction in life." But speaking as an underemployed person, I think you have to cut people some slack on that one in this economy!

I was most intrigued by "I've never had a serious girlfriend." I don't think I've ever had a guy say that to me on the first date. Wouldn't they be afraid I'd think something was wrong with them? Not according to Gilderman -- he writes that some guys say that, even if they HAVE had a serious girlfriend, as "a sly way of admitting he can't commit" -- or doesn't want to commit.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Interesting! I too have heard the "I'll call you" lie more times than I'd care to admit. But I'm surprised men lie about serious relationships. I would much rather date a guy who has put his heart on the line and committed to someone and had it not work out than someone who can't focus on one person and doesn't put much into it.

But really I'd just settle for one that calls me. :)