About Me

March 28, 2008

Paper, plastic, or me?

Name: The supermarket
What it is: Where you go to stock up on food for the week when you grow tired of (or broke from) eating out
Cost: Just the cost of groceries – which you were going to buy anyway.
The scoop: I just read about a couple who got married a few years after meeting at the supermarket. In fact, there are whole articles written about how to meet people while grocery shopping -- you’ve got to admire people’s ability to multi-task. In his article, “Meet Someone at the Grocery Store” (http://www.getromantic.com/singles/advice/meet_at_grocery_store.html), Scot McKay suggests picking up a tabloid while you’re waiting on line and striking up a conversation; “following” someone you’re attracted to and then accusing them (in a joking way) of stalking you; and shopping in the early evening hours on weeknights or on weekend afternoons to increase your odds.
My dates: My only “luck” (and I use the term loosely) at the supermarket happened so long ago, I can’t even remember what year it was -- it was probably about ten years ago. I was home for a visit with the family and ran out to the supermarket in my hometown to pick up a few things. I was around 26 at the time, and the employee behind the checkout counter looked a few years younger, maybe a college student, with glasses and spiky brown hair. As he rang up my chocolate (I actually can’t remember what I was buying, but I’m sure there was chocolate in there somewhere), he began to make conversation about the weather.

“Raining out?” he asked.

“No, not yet,” I said. “But I brought my umbrella just in case.”

“That’s good.”

We continued this oh-so-scintillating conversation for approximately 60 more seconds. I gave him my cash, he gave me my change, and then out of nowhere, he looked at me and suddenly asked, “Would you be interested in going out with me sometime?”

My jaw dropped. I was wearing a bulky winter coat and sweatpants, had barely combed my hair that morning, and we had just had the most boring conversation ever! Where had THAT come from?

The woman behind me cleared her throat and pushed her cart closer to me. I looked at the guy behind the counter, mumbled, “Um, I’m seeing someone,” grabbed my bag of groceries and ran out. It was flattering, I guess, but I could just picture the fascinating conversation we would’ve had on a date (“So do you use an umbrella when it snows, or only when it rains?”).

After that, every time I came home for a visit and had to go to that supermarket, I chose my checkout line very carefully....

2 comments:

Scot McKay said...

I enjoyed your take on my article immensely. It all sure beats "bumping carts" no matter what.

I can imagine what it must have been like for the guy at the checkout. He probably had attractive women come through the line all the time, and only a minute or two to make an impression on any of them--all while working. That's a tough challenge for sure.

Thanks for linking to us, and keep up the good work.

Scot McKay
www.deservewhatyouwant.com

Anonymous said...

Now I can't go to Trader Joe's anymore because this creepy checkout clerk who read my name off my credit card, complimented me on it, and didn't take the hint when I replied that I hated it, started calling out to me, by name, across the whole store the next time I went in and (of course) wasn't standing in his checkout line, so I feigned deafness and fled.