About Me

March 25, 2008

WeekendDating (speed-dating)

Name: Weekend Dating (http://www.weekenddating.com/)
Their blog: http://weekenddating.blogspot.com/

What it is: Speed-dating

Cost: $30 - $40 per event (less if you sign up for an event the same day you register to be on the e-mail list)

Random fact: This is one of the very few speed-dating companies that has events on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays (hence the name WeekendDating).

The scoop: It’s nice to speed-date on the weekend, knowing you don’t have to get up early the next day!

My dates: This speed-dating company has two important advantages over most of the others: the events take place on weekends, and there are free (and plentiful) appetizers. I like to date on a full stomach. I’ve now done WeekendDating twice. Both times Jay gave each of us a card with a question on it, and we were supposed to find the person of the opposite gender with the same question in order to determine who our first speed-date of the night would be. The first time I did it, one of the guys told me his question was, “It’s the first date – should the man or the woman pay?” When he found the woman with that same card, she said, “Well, what’s your answer?” He said, “I think the man should pay.” She snapped, “Wrong answer!” and walked away. :O

Since Jay, the amiable guy who founded the company, is from Long Island, most of the guys I’ve met have been from Long Island or Queens – not too convenient for me, since I live in Brooklyn without a car. Most of their events take place on Long Island, too, although the ones I’ve attended have been in Manhattan. The first time I went, there was a nice range of guys, but last time the men were mostly blue-collar and didn’t have jobs that required college degrees (there were guys who work for the post office, cable guys, etc.). I hate to think I’m a snob, but it’s never worked out for me with a guy who doesn’t have a college degree. Who knows, maybe some guy will prove me wrong one day, but I’ve just never had enough in common with men who didn’t go to college.

So, I only chose one guy at the last event. He worked for a financial company, was originally from Colombia, and had lived in California for several years before moving to New York City. He seemed nice, interesting, and smart -- plus if I dated him, maybe I could finally become fluent in Spanish! After the event, he, the friend I went with, and another woman all had dinner together, which was fun. When I received my list of matches the next morning, I learned that he had picked me, too. After I didn’t hear from him for a few days, I sent him an e-mail – and I never heard back. WHY DO GUYS DO THAT? Why pay for a night of speed-dating, choose women you’d like to see again, and then never contact them? What a waste!

But during dinner that night, it came out that he’d gotten married seven years ago and was already divorced, so maybe I’m not missing out on too much. I can understand people who get married too young and get divorced in their 20s (who really knows who they are in their 20s?), but this guy was in his 40s. That would make me very nervous.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't judge; I've never been married but I still have a terrible track record in terms of getting together with the right person for the right reasons, so I think confusion about who you are can work either way and cause you to rush into things you regret or else become commitment shy.