About Me

April 29, 2008

Star Jones to Divorce

You’ve probably all read by now that Star Jones has filed for divorce from husband Al Reynolds (http://www.thecelebritycafe.com/features/15472.html). This mildly interested me for three reasons. First, Star and Al got married three and a half years ago at St. Bart’s Episcopal Church in Manhattan (http://www.stbarts.org), one of my two churches and the place where I met Hyper Boy (see my March 10th post).

Second, there were always those rumors swirling around that Al was gay and only married Star for her money. At the time I thought people were being age-ist, assuming that no guy would marry an older, successful female without an ulterior motive. But, sigh, I guess he might really be gay after all, since apparently the marriage has been on the rocks for a while – a quick Google search turned up this article from August 2006: “Star Jones Reynolds: I’m Not Getting a Divorce” (http://www.people.com/people/article/0,26334,1222487,00.html).

Third, even though she can be a bit obnoxious in her desire for the spotlight, I was happy that Star finally seemed to have found someone. I remember this one time years ago on “The View,” they played a clip of her talking about how her goal was to find someone and get married by a certain year – and it turned out it was the end of that year, and she still hadn’t gotten married. I don’t think she was even dating anyone at that point. But she didn’t seem depressed about it. She just said, “I know God’s picked him out. I just haven’t found him yet.”

Inspired, I thought maybe *I* should pick a date to get married, and then the right guy would come along! So I decided on July 28, 2007. Didn’t you get the invite? (ha ha) Well, that date came and went without anything close to a wedding, obviously. Still, my relationship that had ended the year before was the longest I’d ever had, so at least I was getting closer – in a more long-term-relationship frame of mind, so to speak. Better to wait and marry the right person, of course, than marry the wrong person too soon and end up getting divorced.

Worst of all, though, is to wait, STILL marry the wrong person, and get divorced anyway! Poor Star. At least she has a lot of money to comfort her.

No comments: