About Me

January 5, 2009

I told him!

The Nicest Guy in the World and I drove up to Albany on Dec. 27th to visit a good friend of his since childhood & his wife, and their five-week-old baby. By then I knew I wanted to tell him that I liked him as more than a friend, but I didn't know when to bring it up, so I kept putting it off. We had a really fun visit with his friend and his family -- their baby is so cute! Nicest Guy had brought some great Christmas presents for the baby, including one I had suggested -- since his friend was a big fan of the rock group Twisted Sister back in the day, Nicest Guy got a Twisted Sister onesy for the baby, with the Twisted Sister logo and "I Wanna Walk!" printed on it. His friend loved it!

The other funny thing happened when Nicest Guy and his friend exchanged Christmas gifts. As Nicest Guy was opening one, his friend said hesitantly, "I don't know if you'll really like this or not, I just thought you might find it interesting...."

Nicest Guy laughed and said, "Well, I definitely know someone who'll want to borrow it." It was a PAUL SIMON DVD! His friend had no idea, but I am one of the biggest Paul Simon fans around. So it will be the perfect gift for me to steal when Nicest Guy's not looking, er, I mean, watch with him. ;)

We finally left at around 9 PM, and Nicest Guy drove me to NJ, where I was staying with my dad for a few days over the Christmas/New Year's holiday. The closer we got, the more nervous I felt. When we finally arrived at my dad's apartment, the street had enough parked cars and snow piles to prevent us from parking there, so we had to park way in the back of the complex by the Dumpster. We went inside to chat with my dad for a few minutes, and when Nicest Guy said he'd better be going, I said quickly. "I'll walk you to your car."

We walked quietly through the parking lot. It was a cold night, raining so lightly it was really just mist. I looked up at the moon, blurry in the fog, my hands jammed in my coat pockets. I was so nervous. I thought, what if I've misread every signal, misunderstood every sign, and he doesn't actually want to be more than friends after all?

As we got to his car and started to say good-bye, I almost chickened out, but I knew if I did I would regret it. So I finally blurted out, "Remember like a year ago when you said we should start dating and I said no?"

"Yeah," he said.

"Um -- I've changed my mind," I said, and held my breath.

He blinked. "Oh!" he said -- and then he broke into a grin. "Wow! Well -- wow! That would be -- that would be -- wow! Yes! Yes!"

We kissed then, between the Dumpster and the cars in the apartment complex parking lot. And that is how it came to be that two years after he first sent me a wink on Match.com, and one year and eleven months after our first date in January 2007, the Nicest Guy in the World and I planned our second official date -- for January 1, 2009.

:) :) :)

6 comments:

Dark Cloud Nine said...

congratulations - I don't know if I left you a comment before or not but I am very happy for you - and for him - he definitely was very patient :) and I am very happy you fell for him.

Lord Lillis said...

Oh, I can see it now....

If you don't get on that plane you'll regret it! Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow but soon and for the rest of your life! I'm no good at being noble but it doesn't take a genius to see the personal problems of three people don't add up to a hill of beans in this topsy-turvey world.

We'll always have Albany....


:-)

Anonymous said...

That's fantastic! Thanks for sharing - - I can't wait to hear (read?!) more about it. :)

Glenn said...

Fantastic.

Sarah said...

WOOHOO!! What a great way to start the new year!

Waitress from Mensa said...

What a wonderful development! But, oh darn it, will the Dating Guru blog continue to inspire the empathies of kindred-spirit on-line daters?