About Me

July 24, 2008

"Ugly" women, mean men

In Dan Savage’s “Savage Love” column in the Village Voice this week, there is the saddest letter from a 22-year-old woman who says that men routinely ridicule her for being ugly (http://www.thestranger.com/savage). I’ll paste the letter below, but the gist of it is, she’s now convinced that she’s horribly ugly and is so despairing of finding anyone who will fall in love with her, she’s considering suicide. I thought Dan’s advice was pretty accurate. Almost no one paid any attention to me when I was in my 20s, but now that I’m “middle-aged” (ahem), just the other day a guy came up to me in the middle of Manhattan and said softly, “I crossed the street just to talk to you.” OK, there's a distinct probability that he was homeless, but still!

It makes me angry that Dan would never get a letter like this from a man. Can you imagine women going up to men they didn’t know and making fun of their looks? It would never happen.

Fighting Ugly
July 24, 2008
By Dan Savage

Q: I'm a 22-year-old female, and the older I get, the more often I am ridiculed by straight men for being ugly. Just last night, a man asked me if I was jealous of my pretty friends and if I wished I could look like them. I know I'm unattractive, but I've met wonderful girls who I think are at least as physically unattractive as me who have managed to find someone to love them. I need to know if I should even bother anymore—it's hard to find a job, make friends, and basically just find people who will treat me like a human being. I shower every day, try to dress well, and wear makeup, but none of it seems to help. It appears that my only options are plastic surgery or suicide, and the older I get, the more appealing the latter becomes. And no, I don't have body dysmorphic disorder, I am absolutely sure.
Anonymous
P.S. I can't trust my friends to tell me the truth, because they love me, which either (a) clouds their judgment, or (b) makes them reluctant to hurt my feelings. The only commentary I have to go on comes from people I don't know who feel a need to inform me that I'm ugly. But I'm not sure. Should I send you a picture?


A: You can send me a picture if you like, Anonymous, preferably one taken by the brand-new therapist that you're going to get. Because you may or may not have body dysmorphic disorder, and you may or may not be ugly, and your friends may or may not be shining you on, but you clearly need more help than I can give you in this space. But I'll accept your self-diagnosis and say this much...
Things will get better as you get older. Not your looks, Anonymous, if your looks are truly the problem, but your peers. People are assholes in their 20s, and pouring alcohol into assholes doesn't make 'em stink less. Straight boys raised to believe that women exist for their pleasure will sometimes feel personally affronted by unattractive women, and alcohol makes them feel entitled to comment. But the passage of time makes monsters of us all, Anonymous, and the young, relatively hot straight guys tormenting you today are the bald, paunchy, and if there is a God, burn victims of tomorrow.
So the numbers of guys who can appreciate what you bring to the table—your humanity, your compassion, your ability to love—will grow over time, kiddo, and you may find in middle age what your girlfriends found as young adults. Unless you off yourself in the meantime, Anonymous, in which case you won't be around to watch those cruel, drunken boys deteriorate, wither, and die. And why would you want to cheat yourself out of that?

5 comments:

Glenn said...

I can deduct that, because she has friends that love her, she WILL find a guy that loves her. Low self esteem could be here biggest enemy. I have a certain type of girl I'm attracted to from a purely physical stanpoint but I will overlook the looks if she is cool.

Lord Lillis said...

Can you imagine women going up to men they didn’t know and making fun of their looks? It would never happen.

Um, no, actually, it happens all the time. Think of all the teenage girls going "eeeew" to the unpopular boys in high school or the catty remarks about the overweight/underdressed guy at the club. The world is filled with miscreants, male and female, who can only elevate themselves by putting others down.

While I know beans about psychiatry I can say that "Anonymous" has body dysmorphic disorder editorially. She's fixed her mind so that anyone saying anything positive is lying to "be a friend" while strangers telling her negative nonsense are somehow inherently truthful. Guarantees that everything she "hears" will be negative!

I hope she takes Savage's advice. I really feel for her. Not to sound like an "old fogey" but I remember what it was like being 22: emotionally everything is a raw nerve. Add to that a nasty, vicious cycle of body and self-esteem issues and that's a recipe for disaster. I hope she gets the help she needs to bust the cycle.

Anonymous said...

Glenn, I agree. If she's friendly and social enough to have friends, there's no reason she shouldn't have a boyfriend. And Lord Lillis, kids of both genders are mean in junior high and high school, and of course adult women might make fun of men's looks behind their backs. But I can't imagine women walking up to some guy they've never met and proceeding to ask them how they got so ugly, if they're jealous of their more handsome friends, etc. Maybe it has happened, but it's gotta be rare. Men's looks are just not seen as important, or as central to their core identity, as women's.

Anonymous said...

I've experienced this too. Young guys are very arrogant and self-centred. I don't know why they feel the need to tell girls whether or not they are good looking enough. It is a painful experience especially if you experience it from a young age because you then think that how you look is the only thing that is valuable about you as a woman and therefore if you don't look good, you're worth nothing. That's quite tough. My only hope was having met men who were caring and not shallow. It's hard to come by though. I suggest she spends company with men who are a little older. She needs to work on herself though so she does not crave male attention to validate her self worth as I did. It's very hard though and I still struggle with this but I don't think people who are 'left alone' realise how common or difficult this is to deal with.

Anonymous said...

> Men's looks are just not seen as important, or as central to their core identity, as women's.

That's bull. Said that to an ugly guy who never stood the chance with the girl of his dreams, the girl next door, because he had acne or an asymmetric face.

Sure, he was the rare nice guy who was willing to wait indefinably for sex, despite raging hormones. He was kind, generous, and a great listener who was *actually* interested in her day, her thoughts, and her feelings, not just pretending to be.

And yeah, he earned $150k/yr straight out of college, back when $150k/yr was a lot of money (when Clinton was president).

He was everything that women dream of in Prince Charming, except for handsome.

So why didn't he get the girl of his dreams? Or any of the other girls around? Cause he wasn't handsome.

Looks are the most important thing about a person, because they are the first thing potential mates look at. If you don't pass that test, nothing else matters. This is true for men as much as it is for women. Men are just more honest about it.