About Me

May 14, 2008

Random Texts from Near-Strangers

Last night while I was at job #2, my cell phone beeped with this text message from a number I didn't recognize: "Hi what's up how r you. Do u remember mi” (yes, “me” was spelled “mi”). I figured it was a wrong number, but just in case, I texted back “Um, who are you?" and turned my phone off. When I turned it on again after work, I had a response -- it was Florida Guy, whom I’d met over the weekend at my friend’s bachelorette party. Florida Guy was one of the men we tried to persuade to dance with us at the club. But the weird thing was, I only talked to him for about 60 seconds -- long enough to find out his name, that he had an accent, and that he actually lives in Florida for most of the year. He asked if we wanted a drink, and my friend and I (having had a few already) said just water. He and his friend brought us back bottled waters. Then they promptly left the dance floor, went to sit at the bar, and never talked to us again! My friend the bride went over and thanked them right before we left at 2:30 AM, but that was the extent of it – and three days later he randomly texts me? I don’t get it. The only reason he even had my number was because during our sixty seconds of conversation, I pulled out my phone to text a friend, and he took my phone, called himself, and for about ten seconds we talked to each other on our respective cell phones as a joke.

Anyway, after he texted me his name, he followed up with “what are u doing tonite????” as if he wanted to get together. (?) I texted back that I was working. I didn't hear from him again until I was just about to shut down my phone for the night at 11:00, when he texted, "Don't work to much ok brb." Strange.

I also got a voicemail from Mr. No Touchy-Feely last night. After he e-mailed me last Wednesday and left me a voicemail last Thursday, I e-mailed him on Friday. I had my friend’s bachelorette party on Saturday and he was visiting his mom for Mother’s Day over the weekend (aww), so we knew we wouldn’t be able to get together. In his voicemail last night, he said he was calling to say hi since we hadn’t talked in forever and that we should talk or e-mail soon. I sent him an e-mail this morning. But I don’t know. It’s so frustrating because he has so many great qualities. Yet what’s the point of continuing to see him every three or four weeks when he’s not making a move, and I’m just not motivated to? I keep hoping something will change....

No comments: