About Me

May 15, 2008

Relationship Statistics

No word, via e-mail or phone, from Mr. No Touchy-Feely since I e-mailed him yesterday morning, but last night Florida Guy texted me, “Hi sexy, how are u.” Ugh. What are we, 13? If you want to go out with me, then CALL ME (by my name) and ask! Needless to say, I am not texting him back. Bizarre.

Moving on…one of my friends (thanks, Lisa!) sent me this article by Laura Schaefer titled “Love By the Numbers” (http://msn.match.com/msn/article.aspx?articleid=8791), which has some interesting dating-related statistics. After a first date with someone they’d like to see again, 15% of women call the next day (!) and 20% call two days later, but almost half the women never call the men or expect the men to call first. I tend to fall into that last category. If it’s someone I really like, and I don’t hear from them for a few days, I’ll e-mail or call, but I’ve found it tends to be a waste of time to chase guys. If they’re truly interested, they’ll get in touch with you (and not solely via text message!). The statistics on the men’s side are that 45% call the day after the first date, 32 percent call two days later, and only 14 percent call three days later. I’m surprised – my experience has been that men are more likely to wait a few days. But maybe that’s just New York men.

Even more interesting, though, is that according to a 2005 survey by Love.com, it takes an average of four weeks before people who meet on-line finally arrange to meet in person. Four weeks! Perhaps I’m just impatient, but I’d rather not waste four weeks e-mailing some guy only to find out we have nothing to say to each other person. A faster pace, please.

No comments: