About Me

May 27, 2008

Weddings

I was the maid of honor in my friend’s wedding over the weekend. We had perfect weather for an outdoor wedding. The ceremony was beautiful, and the reception was so much fun. Good times. It’s amazing how quickly it goes by, though. All the planning and coordination and details -- and several hours later, it’s over. Which is fine, but it’s similar to that after-Christmas feeling -- all that build-up and eager anticipation, and it’s over already!? Just one more reason to pick the person you marry very carefully, I guess. The wedding is one thing, but then you have to wake up with each other every morning for the rest of your lives, so you’d better choose someone you’re happy and excited to see all the time, or at least most of the time, and who feels the same way about you. It’s a tall order.

So, to mix it up a bit, last week I went to my first speed-dating event in several months, through Hurry Date (http://www.hurrydate.com/). I sucked! I didn’t act any differently than I normally do, but out of ten guys, only one picked me. Yep. ONE. That’s an all-time low for me! Fortunately it was a mutual match, as I’d chosen him, too. He’s eleven years older than I am, but he had a nice smile and seemed friendly, and he actually has a good job in finance, which is a refreshing change of pace. (Guys who like me tend to have low-paying jobs that they don’t enjoy.) He did seem a bit business-like about the whole event, like he was on a job interview or something, but maybe he was just getting warmed up – he was my first “date” of the evening. He e-mailed me over the weekend, and we’ll probably meet for drinks sometime next week. Oh, I hope he’s not a Republican....

But I still like Mr. No Touchy-Feely and the Nicest Guy in the World. Mr. No Touchy-Feely left me a voicemail on Thursday night five minutes after I’d shut off my phone to go to bed, and I left him a voicemail on Friday. I also e-mailed him this morning. And I’m getting together with the Nicest Guy in the World on Saturday, which should be fun!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't tried the "speed dating" venue, as of yet. The tons of online dating as me scratching my head saying What am I doing? I have already hit "pro" status at this point... Good luck...

Angie said...

I think it is the "job interview" feel speed dating has that is giving me the thumbs down...